Animation is an invaluable tool for brands in 2023. It allows you to simplify complex ideas, craft compelling narratives, and visually convey your brand identity. But with a plethora of animation styles available, choosing the right one can be a daunting task.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll assist you in selecting the most suitable animation style for your brand and message. We’ll discuss the common styles, their advantages and disadvantages, and provide examples of how they can be effectively employed in marketing.
Animation Styles for 2023: Choosing the Right One for Your Brand
Determining the ideal animation style hinges on various factors, such as your brand’s identity, target audience, objectives, and message. Additionally, practical considerations like budget and production time come into play; complex styles like 3D animation and character animation demand more time and resources, whereas simpler styles like 2D animation are cost-effective and quicker to produce.
Without further ado, let’s delve into our top picks for animation styles suitable for brands in 2023.
2D animation is a classic approach that relies on hand-drawn or computer-generated images to create a two-dimensional world. It offers versatility, catering to a wide range of video formats, from explanatory videos to advertisements and even cartoons.
- Versatile in application
- Offers a wide spectrum of visual styles
- Easily comprehensible
- Potentially time-consuming in production
- May not be suitable for conveying intricate technical details
Here’s an example of a 2D animation we created for Mebo – Life, Regenerated.
In contrast, 3D animation utilises computer-generated imagery to construct a three-dimensional universe. It is a more intricate and costly style than 2D animation, but it yields remarkably realistic and visually stunning outcomes.
- Capable of producing highly realistic and visually striking videos
- Ideal for explaining complex technical products
- Adaptable to various visual styles
- Demands a higher production budget
- Can be time-intensive
Here’s an example of a 3D animation we created for SAE – Master Your Creativity.
Character animation focuses on the creation and animation of characters, making it an apt choice for narrative-driven videos aiming to establish an emotional connection with the audience. It seamlessly integrates into various animation styles, including 2D and 3D animation.
- Crafting memorable and engaging characters
- Effective for storytelling and emotional engagement
- Combinable with different animation styles
- Potentially expensive in terms of production
Here’s an example of Character animation we created for The Story of Coffee.
Motion graphics employs text, shapes, and other graphical elements to create animated videos. It excels in conveying complex information in a visually appealing manner.
- Effective for presenting intricate information in an engaging way
- Relatively speedy production process
- May lack the emotional engagement of other styles
- Not the best choice for storytelling
Here’s an example of Character animation we created for Atlassian – Customer Support Services.
Mixed style animation combines two or more animation styles to craft a unique and visually captivating video, making it an excellent option for those looking to stand out from the crowd.
- Creation of distinctive and visually appealing videos
- Versatile in achieving various visual aesthetics
- Potentially expensive in terms of production
Here’s an example of Mixed Style animation we created for Electronic Housing Code.
Which Animation Styles to Avoid in 2023
While all the aforementioned styles can be effective for marketing videos, a few have lost their charm in 2023:
- Whiteboard Animation: Once trendy, it has become overused and outdated.
- Isometric Animation: Its 3D perspective in a 2D format can be confusing and less visually appealing than other styles.
Finding Inspiration for Animation Styles
If you’re grappling with selecting the right animation style, here are some helpful tips to inspire your decision:
- Explore websites like YouTube, Vimeo, and Behance for a diverse array of animated content.
- Tap into social media, particularly Instagram, where many animation professionals showcase their latest creations.
- Conduct a Google search using keywords like “animation inspiration” or “animation styles” to discover fresh ideas.
Choosing the ideal animation style for your marketing video is a significant decision. By considering factors such as your budget, objectives, and target audience, you can select the style that best aligns with your desired outcomes.
If you require assistance in making this choice, don’t hesitate to reach out to Motionlab, where an animation studio that can help you create a visually appealing and effective video for your brand. Here’s to making your brand shine in 2023!
Written by Luke Heise, Director at Motionlab.